Download Rethink DNS + Firewall
Firewall apps, monitor network activity, block ads and trackers, bypass Internet censorship, and more.
Get the releases fastest on GitHub
- Tue Sep 21 2021053g
G is for m.e.G.a
- New firewall rule: Block connections not resolved by user-configured DNS endpoint.
- New firewall rule: Block newly installed apps by default.
- Network Log UI now shows domain names corresponding to IP addresses.
- DNS Log UI now shows all IPs received as part of DNS response.
- Forward all traffic to port 53 to user-configured DNS endpoint.
- Improved search filters for network logs.
- 50 other performance improvements and bug fixes throughout the app.
- Tue Aug 10 2021053f (beta)
- Note: Website-only version.[Why?]
- Quick action buttons on Home Screen.
- A brand new Pause mode which suspends DNS and Firewall for unblocked apps.
- Major bug fixes around Internet connectivity issues.
- Share automatically generated bug reports from the About page.
- UI refresh of the Settings page.
- Improvements to Block any app not in use feature; no longer experimental.
- Other minor performance improvements throughout the app.
- Thu Apr 15 2021053e
F-Droid and Faves
- DNS Logs UI now shows website icons corresponding to DNS queries. These icons are fetched from DuckDuckGo. To enable / disable this see the Settings screen.
- An edge case during app start-up where all connections were may be incorrectly allowed while the firewall rules were being loaded has been fixed.
- Changes to the way the app recovers from the 'Waiting' state. Sometimes, before this fix, the app could forever be stuck in 'Waiting'. After this fix, it shouldn't.
- Dark Mode for the RethinkDNS 'Configure' page (in the DNS UI). Thanks Amith!
- Fri Apr 02 2021053d
Fix the Internet release
- Major updates to how the app handles connectivity changes. This fixes issues where devices may have previously lost Internet connectivity with the app switched on.
- True Black theme on popular demand. Check the Settings -> Appearance.
- Improvements on themes: Better consistency in the colour scheme.
- Stop button in the Notification bar.
- Wed Mar 17 2021053c
Orbot Setup & Other improvements
- Support for one-click Tor-as-a-proxy (Orbot setup).
- When the network is unavailable RethinkDNS now reports "bad network connectivity" to the Android OS. This might improve scenario where apps do not recover from poor / flaky networks.
- Report bad-network to Android when DNS connections fail and healthy network when they succeed.
- OISD.NL (full) is the only default list on RethinkDNS starting this release.
- Wed Mar 03 2021053b
Themes & more
- Themes: Dark and Light themes.
- Support for F-Droid builds with
- Fix battery drain issue
- Home and Welcome screen UI changes.
- Improvements to the underlying Firewall and DNS network engine
- Thu Jan 28 2021053a
- Better support for the "Always-on VPN" feature.
- Home screen UI refreshed.
- Improvements in "Block apps not in use" behavior.
- Enable / disable auto-check for app updates.
- Major performance and stability bug fixes.
- Sun Dec 27 2020053
Android 6 support & Battery Saver modeThe app now runs on Android 6 and above.Battery Saver Mode:
- The app now bundles in a battery saver mode in which only DNS works but not Firewall.
- Start / Stop now looks more like a traditional button with a bottom sheet to help choose between battery-saver DNS-only mode and full-fledged DNS + Firewall mode.
- DNS and Firewall buttons on the homescreen are now more prominent.
- Enable or disable on-device DNS and Firewall logging.
- "Refresh app list" button moved to the Firewall screen.
- Latest 20K DNS logs are stored on-device.
- Search box and filters for DNS logs.
- Fix for Whitelist reverting to default.
- Fix for Exclusion list reverting to default.
- All apps tab now shows total number of app, number of apps in the whitelist / exclusion list, and number of apps blocked.
- Improve scroll performance of the Network Log screen.
- Network Log bottom sheet now slightly less cluttered: A couple of UI elements removed.
- Distinguish between "unamed" (connections from apps without a name) and "unknown" (orphan connections without an owner app) in the network logs.
- Improvements to app UX when the VPN is run in "lockdown mode" (that is, when "Block connections without VPN" is enabled from Android's VPN Settings page).
- Some apps retry relentlessly when their connections are firewalled: Gatekeep connections for 30 seconds to delay those fast-paced non-stop retries.
- "Block any app not in use" now with better heuristics and so should behave in less surprising ways and be more out-of-the-way.
- Wed Nov 04 2020052
Rebrand to RethinkDNS & 30+ New featuresDNS
- Support for RethinkDNS+ (a configurable DNS resolver with custom blocklists) deployed to 200+ locations world-wide.
- Support for DNSCrypt v2 with Anonymized Relays.
- Support to forward DNS requests to other apps like Nebulo or PDNSF.
- Support for "Always-on VPN" and "Block connections without VPN" (this is enforced by Android and is full-proof in that it blocks all internet traffic that bypasses VPN ensuring nothing escapes the RethinkDNS firewall).
- Exclude apps from VPN, that is from the RethinkDNS firewall altogether.
- Whitelist apps from RethinkDNS firewall rules (but not DNS).
- Block all connections when source app is unknown (this occasionally happens with UDP traffic that the source app cannot be determined at times).
- Block all UDP traffic except DNS traffic.
- Block IP addresses apps are connecting to individually from the "Network Log" screen.
- DNS Firewall screens see a major UI overhaul.
- A bottom sheet in "Network Log" now shows some relevant actions (block app, block IP, kill app).
- A tap on DNS logs entries now shows more information including blocklists.
- Select and copy app names and IP addresses from both "DNS Logs" screen and "Network Logs".
- A search bar in all firewall screens.
- Forward TCP connections to any SOCKS5 endpoint.
- Set a HTTP/S proxy endpoint.
- Sat Sep 05 2020044
Bug fixes & Other improvementsBugs:
- 'Start' button now shows just fine for Right-to-Left languages, like Arabic and Hebrew.
- App now doesn't auto-start on phone reboot.
- A critical stability fix that caused frequent app crashes in the background.
- Changes in 'block when app not in use' behavior which now works as originally intended.
- "Always-on VPN" related prompt is shown now when user taps the 'Start' button.
- A minor fix for 'app won't start' bug in Samsung devices.
- Faster loading times for 'Network Monitor'.
- A textbox now warns users to exercise caution when blocking 'System Apps`.
RethinkDNS Firewall is a free and open source project, released under Apache License, Version 2.0.
A lot of our users have asked us for iOS support. We are already discussing buying a Mac to make this happen. Stay tuned. Write to us in case you've got any questions or suggestions: hello (at) celzero (dot) com.