Download Rethink DNS + Firewall
Firewall apps, monitor network activity, block ads and trackers, bypass Internet censorship, and more.
Download the app
v054a - 8 Mar, 2023
Compile your own from Source Code on GitHub
Get the releases fastest on GitHub
- Wed Mar 08 2023054a
- New feature: Advanced DNS filtering; apply domain rules only when apps connect.
- New feature: Allow or deny domains per app.
- New feature: Allow or deny domains for all apps.
- New feature: Bypass both DNS and Firewall rules per app.
- New feature: Packet capture (PCAP).
- New feature: DNS Booster; coalesce requests, cache responses.
- New feature: Edit domain and IP rules.
- Homescreen and Settings UI refresh.
- Other minor UI changes and bug fixes.
- Thu Jan 12 2023053n
📈 RA Fisher fo' Real!
- More stable than v053m. Our fastest release ever!
- Fix a terrible, terrible crash on Android 13.
- A few other minor UI tweaks, but nothing extraordinary.
- Wed Jan 11 2023053m
📊 RA Fisher!
- New feature: All new Statistics screen.
- New feature: Secure this app using screen lock.
- New feature: Choose your preferred language from app settings.
- New feature: RDNS+ Simple view shows well-curated lists only.
- Rename: App lockdown mode is now Isolate mode.
- Rename: Bypass app rules is now called Trust IP.
- Fix crash when Rethink is installed in a Work Profile.
- Now deleting app-specific rules when the app is uninstalled.
- Other minor UI changes and bug fixes.
- Tue Dec 06 2022053l
- Re-support Android 6.
- All new RDNS+ UI.
- All new firewall and network engine.
- New feature: Translations in 15+ languages.
- New feature: Adaptive icons.
- New feature: Show domain names in per app network logs.
- Fix missing notifications on Android 13.
- Fix misbehaving Orbot DNS integration.
- Apps screen now accessible in DNS-only mode.
- Major improvements to built-in Download Manager.
- Fri Oct 14 2022053k
💥 Maximum effort
- Introducing a more private Rethink resolver, Max.
- Mark IPv6 as experimental; switch to IPv4 by default.
- New feature: Backup and restore app settings.
- New feature: App lockdown mode.
- New feature: Universal lockdown mode.
- New feature: Apply firewall rules on port numbers.
- New feature: Apply app firewall rules in batches.
- Minor UI refresh.
- Other memory and crash fixes.
- Wed Sep 07 2022053j
🌶 Make IPv6 Work... Again
- Fixes for connectivity issues seen by Meta apps (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, etc).
- Improved Orbot integration.
- Overhauled SOCKS5 Proxy implementation.
- A few Download Manager changes.
- Other critical Firewall related bug fixes.
- Mon Jul 25 2022053i
💫 Internet Protocol Version 6
- Experimental support for IPv6 like its February 2008!
- New firewall rule: Block port 80 (insecure HTTP) traffic.
- New firewall rule: Block connections on metered (mobile) network.
- Major DNS and Firewall screens UI overhaul.
- All-new network engine based on gvisor/netstack.
- New feature: Per-app network report card.
- New feature: Per-app IP blocklists.
- New feature: Connect to network-provided DNS.
- New feature: Add custom IP address(es) or IP subnets to firewall rules.
- Sat Nov 20 2021053h
🍳 Minority report
- Note: Website and F-Droid only release.
- Minor release fixing a terrible file-bloat. Leftover local blocklist files were not deleted which resulted in ever-increasing app size. Worse still, users had no way to delete these except 'clear data'. Now, the leftover files, if any, are deleted on every blocklist download run. Leftovers are also handled for remote blocklist files. This issue affects only F-Droid and Website versions, since local blocklists files are not supported for the Google Play Store version.
- Tue Sep 21 2021053g
🎱 G is for m.e.G.a
- New firewall rule: Block connections not resolved by user-configured DNS endpoint.
- New firewall rule: Block newly installed apps by default.
- Network Log UI now shows domain names corresponding to IP addresses.
- DNS Log UI now shows all IPs received as part of DNS response.
- Forward all traffic to port 53 to user-configured DNS endpoint.
- Improved search filters for network logs.
- 50 other performance improvements and bug fixes throughout the app.
- Tue Aug 10 2021053f (beta)
🌅 Code overhaul
- Note: Website-only version.[Why?]
- Quick action buttons on Home Screen.
- A brand new Pause mode which suspends DNS and Firewall for unblocked apps.
- Major bug fixes around Internet connectivity issues.
- Share automatically generated bug reports from the About page.
- UI refresh of the Settings page.
- Improvements to Block any app not in use feature; no longer experimental.
- Other minor performance improvements throughout the app.
- Thu Apr 15 2021053e
🪂 F-Droid and Faves
- DNS Logs UI now shows website icons corresponding to DNS queries. These icons are fetched from DuckDuckGo. To enable / disable this see the Settings screen.
- An edge case during app start-up where all connections were may be incorrectly allowed while the firewall rules were being loaded has been fixed.
- Changes to the way the app recovers from the 'Waiting' state. Sometimes, before this fix, the app could forever be stuck in 'Waiting'. After this fix, it shouldn't.
- Dark Mode for the RethinkDNS 'Configure' page (in the DNS UI). Thanks Amith!
- Fri Apr 02 2021053d
🎰 Fix the Internet release
- Major updates to how the app handles connectivity changes. This fixes issues where devices may have previously lost Internet connectivity with the app switched on.
- True Black theme on popular demand. Check the Settings -> Appearance.
- Improvements on themes: Better consistency in the colour scheme.
- Stop button in the Notification bar.
- Wed Mar 17 2021053c
⛳️ Orbot Setup & Other improvements
- Support for one-click Tor-as-a-proxy (Orbot setup).
- When the network is unavailable RethinkDNS now reports "bad network connectivity" to the Android OS. This might improve scenario where apps do not recover from poor / flaky networks.
- Report bad-network to Android when DNS connections fail and healthy network when they succeed.
- OISD.NL (full) is the only default list on RethinkDNS starting this release.
- Wed Mar 03 2021053b
🎨 Themes & more
- Themes: Dark and Light themes.
- Support for F-Droid builds with
- Fix battery drain issue
- Home and Welcome screen UI changes.
- Improvements to the underlying Firewall and DNS network engine
- Thu Jan 28 2021053a
🧩 Incremental update
- Better support for the "Always-on VPN" feature.
- Home screen UI refreshed.
- Improvements in "Block apps not in use" behavior.
- Enable / disable auto-check for app updates.
- Major performance and stability bug fixes.
- Sun Dec 27 2020053
🎲 Android 6 support & Battery Saver modeThe app now runs on Android 6 and above.Battery Saver Mode:
- The app now bundles in a battery saver mode in which only DNS works but not Firewall.
- Start / Stop now looks more like a traditional button with a bottom sheet to help choose between battery-saver DNS-only mode and full-fledged DNS + Firewall mode.
- DNS and Firewall buttons on the homescreen are now more prominent.
- Enable or disable on-device DNS and Firewall logging.
- "Refresh app list" button moved to the Firewall screen.
- Latest 20K DNS logs are stored on-device.
- Search box and filters for DNS logs.
- Fix for Whitelist reverting to default.
- Fix for Exclusion list reverting to default.
- All apps tab now shows total number of app, number of apps in the whitelist / exclusion list, and number of apps blocked.
- Improve scroll performance of the Network Log screen.
- Network Log bottom sheet now slightly less cluttered: A couple of UI elements removed.
- Distinguish between "unamed" (connections from apps without a name) and "unknown" (orphan connections without an owner app) in the network logs.
- Improvements to app UX when the VPN is run in "lockdown mode" (that is, when "Block connections without VPN" is enabled from Android's VPN Settings page).
- Some apps retry relentlessly when their connections are firewalled: Gatekeep connections for 30 seconds to delay those fast-paced non-stop retries.
- "Block any app not in use" now with better heuristics and so should behave in less surprising ways and be more out-of-the-way.
- Wed Nov 04 2020052
🎄 Rebrand to RethinkDNS & 30+ New featuresDNS
- Support for RethinkDNS+ (a configurable DNS resolver with custom blocklists) deployed to 300+ locations world-wide.
- Support for DNSCrypt v2 with Anonymized Relays.
- Support to forward DNS requests to other apps like Nebulo or PDNSF.
- Support for "Always-on VPN" and "Block connections without VPN" (this is enforced by Android and is full-proof in that it blocks all internet traffic that bypasses VPN ensuring nothing escapes the RethinkDNS firewall).
- Exclude apps from VPN, that is from the RethinkDNS firewall altogether.
- Whitelist apps from RethinkDNS firewall rules (but not DNS).
- Block all connections when source app is unknown (this occasionally happens with UDP traffic that the source app cannot be determined at times).
- Block all UDP traffic except DNS traffic.
- Block IP addresses apps are connecting to individually from the "Network Log" screen.
- DNS Firewall screens see a major UI overhaul.
- A bottom sheet in "Network Log" now shows some relevant actions (block app, block IP, kill app).
- A tap on DNS logs entries now shows more information including blocklists.
- Select and copy app names and IP addresses from both "DNS Logs" screen and "Network Logs".
- A search bar in all firewall screens.
- Forward TCP connections to any SOCKS5 endpoint.
- Set a HTTP/S proxy endpoint.
- Sat Sep 05 2020044
🐞 Bug fixes & Other improvementsBugs:
- 'Start' button now shows just fine for Right-to-Left languages, like Arabic and Hebrew.
- App now doesn't auto-start on phone reboot.
- A critical stability fix that caused frequent app crashes in the background.
- Changes in 'block when app not in use' behavior which now works as originally intended.
- "Always-on VPN" related prompt is shown now when user taps the 'Start' button.
- A minor fix for 'app won't start' bug in Samsung devices.
- Faster loading times for 'Network Monitor'.
- A textbox now warns users to exercise caution when blocking 'System Apps`.
Rethink DNS + Firewall is a free and open source project, released under Apache License, Version 2.0.
A lot of our users have asked us for iOS support. We are already discussing buying a Mac to make this happen. Stay tuned. Write to us in case you've got any questions or suggestions: hello (at) celzero (dot) com.