Download Rethink DNS + Firewall
Firewall apps, monitor network activity, block ads and trackers, bypass Internet censorship, and more.
Get the releases fastest on GitHub
053d2 April, 2021
Fix the Internet release
- Major updates to how the app handles connectivity changes. This fixes issues where devices may have previously lost Internet connectivity with the app switched on.
- True Black theme on popular demand. Check the Settings -> Appearance.
- Improvements on themes: Better consistency in the colour scheme.
- Stop button in the Notification bar.
053c17 March, 2021
Orbot Setup & Other improvements
- Support for one-click Tor-as-a-proxy (Orbot setup).
- When the network is unavailable RethinkDNS now reports "bad network connectivity" to the Android OS. This might improve scenario where apps do not recover from poor / flaky networks.
- Report bad-network to Android when DNS connections fail and healthy network when they succeed.
- OISD.NL (full) is the only default list on RethinkDNS starting this release.
053b3 March, 2021
Themes & more
Themes and support for F-Droid builds with
- Fix battery drain issue
- Themes and support for F-Droid builds with
053a28 January, 2021-
05327 December, 2020-
0524 November, 2020
Rebrand to RethinkDNS & 30+ New featuresDNS
- Support for RethinkDNS+ (a configurable DNS resolver with custom blocklists) deployed to 200+ locations world-wide.
- Support for DNSCrypt v2 with Anonymized Relays.
- Support to forward DNS requests to other apps like Nebulo or PDNSF.
- Support for "Always-on VPN" and "Block connections without VPN" (this is enforced by Android and is full-proof in that it blocks all internet traffic that bypasses VPN ensuring nothing escapes the RethinkDNS firewall).
- Exclude apps from VPN, that is from the RethinkDNS firewall altogether.
- Whitelist apps from RethinkDNS firewall rules (but not DNS).
- Block all connections when source app is unknown (this occasionally happens with UDP traffic that the source app cannot be determined at times).
- Block all UDP traffic except DNS traffic.
- Block IP addresses apps are connecting to individually from the "Network Log" screen.
- DNS Firewall screens see a major UI overhaul.
- A bottom sheet in "Network Log" now shows some relevant actions (block app, block IP, kill app).
- A tap on DNS logs entries now shows more information including blocklists.
- Select and copy app names and IP addresses from both "DNS Logs" screen and "Network Logs".
- A search bar in all firewall screens.
- Forward TCP connections to any SOCKS5 endpoint.
- Set a HTTP/S proxy endpoint.
0445 September, 2020
Bug fixes & Other improvementsBugs:
- 'Start' button now shows just fine for Right-to-Left languages, like Arabic and Hebrew.
- App now doesn't auto-start on phone reboot.
- A critical stability fix that caused frequent app crashes in the background.
- Changes in 'block when app not in use' behavior which now works as originally intended.
- "Always-on VPN" related prompt is shown now when user taps the 'Start' button.
- A minor fix for 'app won't start' bug in Samsung devices.
- Faster loading times for 'Network Monitor'.
- A textbox now warns users to exercise caution when blocking 'System Apps`.
RethinkDNS Firewall is a free and open source project, released under Apache License, Version 2.0.
A lot of our users have asked us for iOS support. We are already discussing buying a Mac to make this happen. Stay tuned. Write to us in case you've got any questions or suggestions: hello (at) celzero (dot) com.